(yields 2 servings)
- 2 servings ramen, cook based on package instructions
- 3 cups of miso/kombu stock (see ramen's recipe)
- 1 cup unsweetened plantbased milk
- blanched bok choySpicy miso paste (blend all ingredients until fine)
- 3 tablespoons red miso
- 3 tablespoons white miso
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons hot bean paste
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon ground sesame seeds
- 1 red jalapeno/red chili
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 scallions (white only, save green part for soup)
In a heated non-stick pan with 2 tablespoons oil, cook the blended mixture for 3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Let cool completely & save in a jar.
- 1 pack 16oz firm tofu, drained & mashed
- 1 teaspoons of each, minced: garlic, ginger
- To make tofu crumbles: Mash tofu into tiny crumbles in a non-stick pan & cook for 2mins. Add in 2 teaspoons oil, garlic & ginger, cook until all ingredients turn lightly brown & dry.Season with 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 teaspoons maple syrup & 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil. Adjust taste accordingly.
In a microwavable safe bowl, add in 2 cloves finely minced garlic & enough oil to cover. Microwave for 2 minutes, stirring halfway. Remove & stir in 1 tablespoon Japanese seven spice (Shichimi Togarashi). Set aside until ready to use.
To make the soup:
Place stock & 'milk' in a pot, bring it to simmer. Add 1/4 cup of spicy miso paste into a fine-mesh sieve, then lower the sieve half-way into the simmering soup. Using a spoon, slowly stir paste to dissolve into the soup. Taste test, add more paste if needed.Serve cooked ramen with soup, top with tofu crumbles, blanched bok choy, drizzle of togarashi oil & chopped scallions.
By woon.heng (IG)