Recipe (yields 2-3 servings)
Flavored rice ingredients:
- 1 cup [185g] Jasmine rice, rinsed thoroughly & drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons grated ginger
- 3 teaspoons [12g] toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons vegan butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups [~300 ml] water
- Tofu: 16oz firm tofu – pressed & cut into 3 long logs
Char Siu sauce: Mix together 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, 1 tablespoon mushrooms stir fry sauce, 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce (for color, optional), 1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder (or sub with white pepper powder) with 1/4 cup water until well combined. I also added sriracha for the color.
Rice How to
In a heated saucepan with sesame oil, sauté garlic & ginger until fragrant. Add rice & stir continuously, then add water & salt. Bring it to boil, turn heat to low & let simmer (just barely) for about 18 minutes. Turn off the heat, add vegan butter, cover lid, & let rest for 15-20mins. Prep tofu while waiting. Use a fork to fluff the rice when ready.
To make the tofu, shallow pan-fry tofu until golden brown on all sides & place tofu on a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
To make the sauce, pour sauce ingredients into a pan then bring the mixture to a low simmer & cook until slightly thickened.
Slowly place tofu logs in the sauce. Using a spoon or brush, baste the tofu with sauce until well coated. The sauce will thicken up towards the end. Once the tofu is all coated with sauce, remove from heat & let it cool off a little. Cut tofu into 1/2 inch thick slices.
Serve immediately with more sauce & flavored rice along with cucumber slices & chili sauce.
by woon.heng (IG)
Cook In Style With Our Aprons
- Stay clean in style when you're doing dirty work in the kitchen, in the art studio, in the garden, or at the BBQ
- All-over sublimation print design
- 100% polyester
- Durable neck band and extra-long black ties that wrap around to tie in front
- One size fits most adults
- Easy care, machine washable View Shop