Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
Makes 1 cup
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce*
1/4 cup + 1/4 cup water
1/3 cup + 1 tbsp coconut sugar (or other sugar of choice)
1/2 tsp minced ginger
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp ginger powder (or 1 tsp grated fresh ginger)
1 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water *If you have regular soy sauce, feel free to lessen to 1/3 cup and taste as you go since it can get a bit salty.
1. In a bowl, mix the corn starch and water.
2. Add in the rest of the ingredients. Mix.
3. Pour the mixture into a saucepan and leave to boil, stirring occasionally.
4. Leave to simmer until the sauce thickens from the cornstarch, around 7 minutes.
5. Turn off heat and set aside to cool. I place mine in a squeeze bottle and store it in the refrigerator for future use.